Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Lesson Five: Never Lower Your Standards


One of the worst things that always has gotten me down in my serving career is when people complain and guess what? It happens all the time in the real world, so it's time to buck up.

I have always taken pride in the food I serve people as well as the service I preform. If something isn't right, it's not being presented to the customer. However, there will be many times when a customer complains. Too much milk in their coffee, onion rings aren't onion-ringy enough (yes, I've actually gotten that one)... whatever.

It is in these moments when true service skills are required. Macintosh (Apple for youngsters) is a company that does this in the most flawless manner I've ever seen. Show that you're genuinely concerned about the problem and you know what? You should be genuinely concerned. Thanks to the growing power of social media, one person now counts as twenty. If a server does everything in their power to correct the situation in a timely and appropriate manner that something great will be said.

How would this skill carry over to business? Mistakes happen, it's part of life. The only way one can truly recover from these mistakes is being genuine and transparent (two of my all time favorite words). From observance, the airline industry is some of the worst at this particular skill set. And I digress...

The beautiful part about this is that there are so many outlets for people to voice their concerns and with the technology of smart phones, people like my self will listen and respond with true concern in a timely manner. The last thing a customer wants is to A) not be heard (therefore feeling ignored) or B) told they are wrong and that's "corporate." Guess what? YOU are corporate, never lower your standards of service.
*picture from weheartit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment